Erin Easlon, Ph. D.
College of Biological Sciences
University of California Davis
I am the Academic Coordinator and an Instructor for Introductory Biology Bis2A at UCD. I am responsible for all aspects of the course discussion section development, coordination, administration, instructional training, delivery and TA hiring, training, and supervision.
I am working on implementing online learning tools in Bis2A designed to foster growth of an online student community. These tools allow students to read the text, comment, ask questions, answer each-others questions, pull in personal experience etc in a space online where the students are rewarded for participating.
I also work with graduate student TAs and have developed a practice based TA training program designed to teach TAs how to lead an active learning classroom. This program is only available to the TAs that teach Bis2A. Some TAs who have completed this training have gone on to education based employment at other colleges and universities.
- Becker, E. Easlon, et al. “Practice-Driven and Feedback-Centered: Transforming Undergraduate Education through Evidence-based Training of Graduate Teaching Assistants” CBE, out for review
- Bin Li, Craig Skinner, Pablo R. Castello, Michiko Kato, Erin Easlon, Li Xie, Tianlin Li, SHu-Ping Lu, Chen Wang, Felicia Tsang, Robert Poyton, Su-Ju Lin, “Identification of Potential Calorie Restriction-Mimicking Yeast Mutants with Increased Mitochondrial Respiratory Chain and Nitric Oxide Levels,” Journal of Aging Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 673185, 16 pages, 2011. doi:10.4061/2011/673185
- Wang C, Skinner C, Easlon E, Lin SJ (2009) Deleting the 14-3-3 protein Bmh1 extends life span in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by increasing stress response. Genetics, 183(4):1373-84.
- Chen, A. D. Steele, G. Hutter, J. Bruno, A. Govindarajan, Erin Easlon, S. Lin, A. Aguzzi, S. Lindquist, L. Guarente (2008) The role of calorie restriction and SIRT1 in prion-mediated neurodegeneration. Exp Gerontol, 43(12):1086-93.
- Chen D, Bruno J, Easlon E, Lin SJ, Cheng HL, Alt FW, Guarente L (2008) Tissue- specific regulation of SIRT1 by calorie restriction. Genes Dev, 22(13):1753-7.
- Easlon, F. Tsang, C. Skinner and S. Lin (2008) The malate-aspartate NADH shuttle components are novel metabolic longevity regulators required for calorie restriction mediated life span extension. Genes Dev, 22(7):931-44.
- Dilova, E. Easlon and S. Lin (2007) Calorie Restriction and the Nutrient Sensing Signaling Pathways. Cell Mol Life Sci, 64:752-767.
- Easlon, F. Tsang, I. Dilova, C. Wang, S-P Lu, C. Skinner and S-J Lin. (2007) The Dihydrolipoamide Acetyltransferase Is A Novel Metabolic Longevity Factor And Is Required For Calorie Restriction Mediated Life Span Extension. J. Biol.Chem. 282:6161-71
- Bordone, M. C. Motta, F. Picard, A. Robinson, U. S. Jhala, J. Apfeld, T. McDonagh, M. Lemieux, M. McBurney, E. Easlon, S. Lin, and L. Guarente (2006) Sirt1 Regulates Insulin Secretion by Repressing UCP2 in Pancreatic b-cells. PLoS Biol 4(2):e31
- Pham VD, Shebelut CW, Zumstein EJ and Singer M (2005) BrgE is a regulator of Myxococcus xanthus development. Microbiol. 57(3):762-73.
- Poster Presentation at SABER National Meeting in July 2015: Practice and Feedback, Transforming Undergraduate Education through Evidence Based Training of Graduate Student TAs
- 20min Presentation at SABER National Meeting in July 2016: Practice and Feedback, Transforming Undergraduate Education through Evidence Based Training of Graduate Student TAs
- 5min Lightening Talk at Center for Educational Effectiveness in November 2016: Getting TAs to do Active Learning
- 20min Presentation at SABER West Meeting in January 2017: Training Graduate Students to do Active Learning, A How to